Policy for Product Reviews
The Federal Trade Commission requires that we disclose any relationship we have between a product manufacturer or service provider. It is important for you as a consumer to understand our relationships with brands and products.
- If we mention a product or a service in any of our videos, we do so as part of our commitment to educating dog owners. Why Does My Dog absorbs all costs associated with acquiring the product or service and the production of the video about said product or service.
- Payment to create a Product Review will in no way affect our opinion of those products or services. We only endorse products that align with our ideals, would be of value to our viewers, and benefit your dog.
- Why Does My Dog runs network ads on our site. We have full control of which ads appear via a Broadstreet Ad platform. An ad will never appear that is for a product or service we do not believe in or support.
- AMAZON DISCLOSURE: We participate in the Amazon Services, LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to: amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com.
Health and Wellness Disclaimer
Why Does My Dog is a site for educational purposes only. The content on our site is not a substitute for veterinary care or professional behaviorist advice. Never disregard professional veterinary or dog behaviorist advice or delay seeking it because of something you read on this site.
Why Does My Dog strongly encourages you to see a dog behaviorist that uses POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT and EXTINCTION techniques.
Website/Online Property Guidelines
Why Does My Dog maintains in-house guidelines for posting products or services on our site. We feel strongly that these ought to be shared with our users to clarify our relationship with manufacturers.
We view “advertisements” and “product reviews” as similar but separate entities. Please see below for our definitions of each.
- Advertisement - A message regarding a product or service for which Why Does My Dog was paid to deliver. An advertisement can be in the form of ad space on our website, or a video endorsing a product or service with a direct call to action.
- Product Reviews - An in-depth look into the qualities of a product or service unsolicited by the company that owns/manufactures said product or service. Why Does My Dog is not paid to deliver this message, nor does the video contain a call to action endorsing the product or service.
- We define a “call to action” as a statement that directly influences one’s purchase of a product or service, or initiates action on the part of the user.
If you post a question to Why Does My Dog on this site, we will respond as promptly as possible during working hours (9AM-5PM PST). If your inquiry falls outside of these hours, we will get back to you as soon as possible when office hours resume. If your inquiry is urgent (i.e. a medical emergency) please contact your veterinarian.
- Our videos will never contain links to external websites or calls to action.
- A paid product review posted to YouTube will be designated as such. We will always identify the video using the setting “This video contains a paid product placement or endorsement.”
- When applicable, a link back to this Disclaimer page will be included in the blog posts beneath a video. Please see below for examples of how this message will be displayed.
- Why Does My Dog was compensated for this review. Click here for more information via our Disclaimer.
- I received a free (insert product or service) from (Brand X) in exchange for writing a review on this blog. Click here for more information via our Disclaimer.
- Please assume that any/all call to action links on WhyDoesMyDog.com are affiliate links. This means that if you click on the link and buy an item, Why Does My Dog receives a small commission. Why Does My Dog promises to never increase the price of the product as a result of this partnership.
- Why Does My Dog will never provide an affiliate link to a product or service we do not recommend.
- All instances of a “Buy Here” button are to be considered affiliate links. This link will be utilized in the blog post of a corresponding video.
We encourage frequent interaction and discussion on Why Does My Dog’s social media profiles. We ask that your comments be respectful. We reserve the right to remove anything we deem:
- Abusive or personal attacks
- Material that is unlawful, obscene, defamatory, threatening, harassing, abusive, slanderous, hateful or embarrassing to any other entity
- Third party advertising that has not been approved
We also reserve the right to terminate involvement of users who post such content. The views and opinions expressed on Why Does My Dog’s social media sites are based on our knowledge and expertise, but we will not be responsible for the accuracy or reliability of information posted by external parties in any social media comment section or site comment posted.
- Posts about a paid product or service review with a call to action will contain an affiliate link to the product or service. Please see above for more information about affiliate links.
- Below are examples of social media posts that would reference a brand (herein referred to as “Brand X”) based on whether or not the product or service in question was part of a paid advertisement.
- Affiliate link: Brand X is having a 20% off sale today – use promo code 123
- We heart our new Brand X Dog Toy – you can win one over on @Brand X’s Facebook Page! #sponsored
- Check out its awesome safety rating on @Brand X’s Website!
- Get 20% off your Brand X Dog Toy with promo code 123. (Insert affiliate link).
Conversion Tracking Code:
Why Does My Dog utilizes third party tracking and conversion codes to monitor activity throughout our website. While we use this information to optimize our digital presence, we will never distribute your personal information obtained from any of our tracking data. Please see below for a complete list of tracking software we use.
Google Analytics - Used to track site wide activity including but not limited to entrances, session durations, page depths, etc.
WordStream - Used to monitor all site activity resulting from click throughs of Google AdWords advertisements. All advertisements via Google AdWords are supported and paid for by the Why Does My Dog team.
Pinterest - Used to measure conversions resulting from Pinterest activity. We will never use this data to buy Pinterest ads or perform marketing off Pinterest. We will also never use this data for any other purpose than to understand our Pinterest campaigns on an anonymous basis. We will never use or share data from a Pinterest service with a third party, including another advertising service. We will never join data from a Pinterest service with personally identifiable information or device-level information (such as a cookie or device identifier).