Teach a dog to lay down when nothing else works
1. If your dog is not luring for the treat. First try a different treat!
2. If that fails. Sit on the floor with one leg out in front, slightly bent.
3. With the treat close to the dog’s nose, lower the treat toward his front paws and under your leg.
4. Your dog should crouch to get under the leg.
5. Once the belly touches the ground, praise and give the treat.
6. Once she has successfully done this a couple of time. Try to lure with your hand without going under the leg.
Why does my dog not follow my “lay down” command?
If your dog appears to be distracted or uninterested in learning the command you may have to change up your game plan. Make sure to eliminate what is distracting them and even try a different treat that is more appealing to your dog. You can also try to use a bed or a blanket under her to see if being more comfortable would make a difference. You can also create an environment where your dog has to get closer to the ground by having your leg out in front of you and lure the dog under your leg. She will have to crouch down to get under it. After doing this a couple of times, try to lure without the leg.