How to cut a dog’s nails when they are black?
1. Remember to be patient with your dog.
2. You might not be able to do all nails in one sitting. Take your time. Praise your dog and give him treats.
3. Hold the paw in your hand and spread the toes out.
4. Cut holding the clippers at a slight angle and horizontally to the floor.
5. Cut a little at a time.
6. It should be gray or white at first. As soon as you see a solid dark spot, stop.
7. Go to the next nail.
Buy Here Nail Clippers
This is an affiliate link, please read our disclaimers here.
Cutting your dog’s black nails:
Before cutting your dog’s nails, make sure to really know the anatomy of the nail and how to do it properly.
You really need to be very patient with your dog. Ask for someone to help you hold your dog if they are wiggling around too much.
If your dog really does not want his/her nails done, I recommend you going to a vet, groomer or having a professional come to your house to help you. You don’t want to make the nail cutting experience a traumatic one for you and your dog.
To help your dog overcome their fear of nail cutting see our video here.
If you cut the nails too short, see our video here.