Other ways to stop a dog from pulling on walks:
1. Walk backwards in the yard with your dog walking toward you. This will teach your dog to walk toward you and in a sense your do will learn that he only moves forward if he is next to you.
2. Talk a lot and praise him. Talking to your dog and praising him during walking, makes your dog slow down and look back or up to you. This will cause your dog to slow down. It is like you checking in with your dog, like “Hey man, I still got you. How you doing?”
3. This will help him learn that all the fun happens when he is next to you.
4. He cannot pull if you’re walking backwards. If you are walking backwards your dog will automatically not pass you. He will want to walk toward you.
5. If he passes you, turn around and walk the other way.
Victoria Stillwell has some great Keys to Success for you and your dog :